Friday, May 18, 2012

Moving on Up!


I am sitting at a desk with the air conditioner on and with high speed internet. I have come a long way from the village. After my first week on the job, I enjoy the opportunity to be a part of a team and to have a more structured day, however, I miss the pace of village life. This was a weird time to start a job, as the majority of the health team had workshops in Dakar and Kolda. I took this opportunity to meet the other members of the World Vision staff and to settle into a new schedule slowly. This week, I've been reading a lot of project descriptions and case studies (in French), to get a sense of what everyone is working on and what my role can be. The team has been super helpful and they recognize that I've lived in a village and that I have a deeper understanding of the inner workings of a village than many of them do. It has been a slightly difficult transition adhering to a work day and to sit all day (I miss running around with the kids and eating mangoes), but I do enjoy the a/c.

I'm back to being a city girl. When I first arrived, I thought about how it was strange to be in a city again, but I realized that this is the norm; living in a village was out of the ordinary. Velingara is not a bustling metropolis by any standard, but it's big enough and has everything that I need. The down side is that I'm starting all over again, but this time, I don't have a built in family structure to take care of me. I forget how difficult it is to put yourself out there and make new friends. It definitely helps that there are two other PCVs here, but they're located on the other side of town and have their own lives.

It's early in my extension and I will be here for another year, so I'm just settling in, buying furniture and taking it one day at a time. I have a three bedroom apartment that needs to be furnished and once that happens, I can play hostess all the time (hint hint: come visit me!). I've started to go to aerobics class, which gives me something to do and to keep me active now that I'm not biking everywhere all the time. It's the beginning of a new adventure and I'm excited to start working on projects and to find my niche in Velingara. I'm confident in myself and am not worried about life this next year.

My Roommate... (more apt pics to come, after I decorate)

Peace & A/C  

No comments:

Post a Comment