Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm now a Volunteer...What!?

I am currently sitting in my regional house hanging out with all the other Kolda volunteers.... yes, I said volunteers! My stage and I took our oath of service at the US Ambassador's house on May 14th. It was like graduation day all over again. Coincidentally enough, I graduated from USC exactly a year prior to swear in. The day after swear in at 6:00am, 5 other volunteers and I packed all our stuff into 2 sept places and were off to Kolda. The night before I left, I decided that I didn't want to sleep and to spend as much time with my fellow stagemates before we parted. The best way to describe training and our interactions with each other would have to be freshman year of college on steroids. I have gotten really close to a bunch of people and it's weird being so far from there. Since being in country, we haven't been apart for more than a few days. Tomorrow, we will be plucked from our fairy tale training stage and dropped off in our villages where we will be all ALONE.

I'm super excited to finally unpack and settle into one place. At the same time, I'm petrified of what I'm about to embark on. The next time that I have internet access will be who knows when. I will have a lot more to say next post.

My new address is:
PCV: Wilma Mui
B.P. 26
Kolda, Senegal
West Africa

Send me magazines (like the World Cup issue of Vanity Fair), snacks, letters, pens, water bottles, luna bars, stuff you think I'll like. Thanks!!

Miss you friends!

--Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment